Rainbow Station is the nation’s premier provider of early education, school age recreation, emergency backup care and leadership development.
Gail W. Johnson – Founder and Chairman of the Board
Vance H. Spilman – Chief Executive Officer
Susan Bishop – Executive Vice President
R. Earl Johnson – Vice President, Real Estate and Sales
Rick Sample – President, Rainbow Station International
Paul Pan – CEO of Rainbow Station China
- Rainbow Station was founded in 1989 by Gail W. Johnson, a registered pediatric nurse who saw a shift occurring in society where women were joining the workforce and were left to find suitable care for their children.
- Rainbow Station has 10 locations in Virginia, Indiana, North Carolina, and Texas. There are two company-owned schools and eight franchise-owned schools.
- In January of 2013, Rainbow Station opened their first location internationally in Shenzhen, China. The brand has plans for 110 additional units in China.
- Rainbow Station is the first preschool system in the United States to adopt The Leader in Me module into their curriculum. Inspired by author Steven Covey in his book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, The Leader in Me prepares children for success in the 21st century by instilling leadership and developmental skills early on in their lives.
- Total investment in a franchise ranges between $350,000 and $825,000 based on a leased facility or an average project cost of $5,500,000.
- In 2012, Rainbow Station had system-wide sales of $20,300,000. With nine schools open in 2012, the average school revenue of each unit was $2,255,555.
Every day at Rainbow Station, we empower children to discover their individual gifts and talents so they can learn early, live well, and lead.
Rainbow Station is the standard of excellence in early education, school age recreation, and mildly ill care.
Description of Services
Nursery School: For infants six weeks old to children two years of age, Rainbow Station offers a nationally accredited, Nursery School program specifically designed for the unique needs of the very young. The teachers and staff at Rainbow Station spend every day opening new worlds of discovery for each child in a safe, nurturing and creative environment, full of exposure to language, music, and sensory stimulation.
Preschool: For children ages 3 to 5, Rainbow Station provides a nationally recognized preschool program where students acquire academic readiness skills through play. Rainbow Station’s preschool curriculum is designed to teach language, math, science, leadership and social skills through hands on experiences and play.
Private Kindergarten: Housed in the Village with multiple learning spaces, Rainbow Station’s private kindergarten program features a low student to teacher ratio, enabling state certified educators to meet children at their individual developmental levels. It promotes intellectual curiosity and motivates children to achieve academic success.
PLAYWORKS® Curriculum: Rainbow Station provides the world-class, proprietary PLAYWORKS® curriculum-based learning for children from birth through kindergarten. The curriculum blends teacher-directed and child-initiated activities to make sure each child is stimulated, challenged, having fun, and ready for kindergarten. The Leader in Me leadership initiative is also incorporated into Rainbow Station’s PLAYWORKS® curriculum.
The Get Well Place: All Rainbow Stations’ feature The Get Well Place, a haven for mildly ill children whose care needs otherwise would necessitate a missed day of work for a mom or dad. The Get Well Place is staffed by a pediatric nurse and accepts children with colds, flu, gastrointestinal illnesses – all conditions that are regularly excluded from school or other out of home arrangements.
The Village: For school age children 5 to 14, The Village at Rainbow Station provides an engaging afterschool experience, in which children participate in programs designed to encourage and promote independent choice. Located in a separate facility which is adjacent to Rainbow Station’s original facility, children are given the ability to self-select how their free time is spent, building their leadership skills and values through the Village’s theme-based centers which include: apothecary, café Rainbow, theatre, library, technology lab, indoor gym, toy shoppe, construction zone, art gallery, arcade, club 5, and playground.
- Nationally accredited program
- Curriculum based on standards of learning and infused with technology and leadership skills
- Developmentally appropriate lesson plans
- State of the art school age recreation program in the village
- Close-knit primary care groups
- Mildly ill back-up care in the Get Well Place
- Degreed/certified lead teachers
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People certified faculty/staff
- Pediatric nurses and first aid/CPR certified teachers
- Foreign language lessons
- Monthly quality assurance monitoring
- Parent education classes
About Rainbow Station
Rainbow Station is the nation’s premier provider of early education, school age recreation, emergency backup care and leadership development. Its comprehensive approach to building the future one child at a time incorporates Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and teaches each of these tenets throughout its programming as part of its The Leader in Me initiative. Curriculum-based learning using the proprietary curriculum, PLAYWORKS®, is offered for infants through private kindergarten as well as programs for school age children. The Council on Accreditation (COA) provides accreditation for the programs at each Rainbow Station. Each Rainbow Station features the Get Well Place, a facility within the campus staffed by a pediatric nurse that accepts mildly ill children. Additionally, Rainbow Station created a school age program called The Village, an interactive learning environment based on freedom and choice where children can receive tutoring, complete their homework and engage in active play before and after school hours. Its latest innovation, Camp Blue Sky, a dynamic summer camp concept, debuts this summer at its Virginia locations. To learn more about the leading early education franchise, please visit www.rainbowstation.org.